Education That Drives Experience
Established in 1998, The School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management (STHM) has a distinguished tradition preparing leaders in the sport, recreation, tourism and hospitality industries. It is the largest provider of talent for these industries in the greater Philadelphia region.
Our innovative approach to learning combined with our location in the heart of Philadelphia fosters transformational education experiences. Thoroughly committed to providing student-centered education and professional development relevant to today’s thriving sport, tourism and hospitality industry — STHM integrates applicable, real-world experience into the curriculum and classroom through its global network of industry partners and well-connected alumni network. Our goal through education is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and educational resources to innovate the sport, recreation, tourism, and hospitality industries globally and move them forward.
STHM is leading school for academically-talented individuals from diverse backgrounds preparing for careers in sport, recreation, tourism and hospitality management. By leveraging our location in the city of Philadelphia — a major hub of sport and tourism — we advance the industry through high quality research, superior educational program and competitive business solutions.
- Established in 1998 as the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Accredited by Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT) since 1978
- Re-branded as the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management (STHM) in 2016
- Bachelor of Science in Sport and Recreation Management
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Science in Event and Entertainment Management
- Master of Science in Sport Business
- PhD in Business Administration with a concentration in Tourism and Sport
- Over 1,100 full-time students
- More than 20 full-time faculty
- Center for Industry Engagement gives students the support to land top internships & learn beyond the classroom
- Two Cutting-edge Research Centers
- The Sport Industry Research Center
- U.S./ASIA Center for Tourism and Hospitality Research
- Over 5,500 well-connected alumni
- Global sport, tourism, and hospitality partners visit campus each year
- Deeply rooted in the sport, hospitality and tourism industry in Philadelphia and throughout the world
- STHM is located in the heart of Philadelphia, a city thriving with growth and opportunity within the sport, tourism, and hospitality industry.
- 6th Largest City in the United States
- 1st World Heritage City in the U.S.
- 16,000+ Hotel Rooms in Philadelphia City
- 1,000+ Restaurants in Philadelphia City
- 6 Major Sports Teams
- 85+ NCAA College Athletic Programs within 25 miles
- 380+ National and International Annual Events
There are multiple student organizations in the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management, including:
- Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society (ESD)
- Event Planning Association
- Graduate Student Association
- Rho Phi Lambda Professional honorary Fraternity
- Society of Minorities in Sport
- Sport and Governance Association
- Women of Sport and Recreation Management
Please note, data on this page is accurate as of October 2022.