School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- The School of Tourism and Hospitality Management is the largest and most comprehensive school of tourism and hospitality management in the greater Philadelphia region.
- We are the home of the world's only National Laboratory for Tourism & eCommerce.
- Many of our faculty hold the Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) designation.
- Students intern at major league sports facilities (including the Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies, Flyers, Kixx, and Soul); and at minor league sports facilities (including the Camden Riversharks), as well as other national sports venues.
- Students also intern at Walt Disney World, the Pennsylvania Convention Center, the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation, the Starr Restaurant Organization, Hyatt Hotels, and many other major local, regional, state, and national tourism organizations.
- Applied learning is provided through volunteer activities with the Philadelphia Film Festival, The Book and The Cook, the Mummers Parade, the Army-Navy game, and other major city events.
- Opportunities are available to earn awards and scholarships through participation in local and national programs.
- We have world-renowned faculty who offer individual mentoring in specified fields of interest.
- Students pursue two internships (in their junior and senior years), or graduate-level internships, which can lead to future employment.
- Access is available to all of the resources of Temple University, plus campuses in Japan and Rome, or study-abroad programs in Austria, England, and South Africa.
Philadelphia provides an applied research lab filled with possibilities. But we don't stop at the city limits:
- Our students conducted focus and survey research with hundreds of visitors to the Independence National Park in Philadelphia to see how to improve visits to the park.
- Students headed to the 2004 summer Olympic games in Athens, Greece, to run marketing research on how Greece and the Athens Olympic Games Organizing Committee might work to increase tourism following the games.
- Students from Temple University Japan conducted a study on how to promote the greater Philadelphia region as a larger draw for Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists.
- Our faculty and students worked for the Pennsylvania Office of Tourism on how to develop Pennsylvania as a top destination for family reunions.
- Our students participated in usability
studies of all 50 U.S. states' websites,
they developed tourism marketing
strategies for major U.S. cities, and
they assisted in the development of
a knowledge management system for the International Festivals and Events Association.
- Students visited the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado to gain a better understanding of the role sports administration plays in running a world-class sports facility.
- In addition, our students fan across the city, state and country to take up internships, attend industry conferences and make professional contacts. And more than 100,000 Temple alumni in the area are ready to offer jobs and career advice.